9.9K views

I've been a long-time Checks Unlimited customer, for no other reason than that their ads come in the mail and make it easy for me to order checks without having to hunt around for another deal.

This morning I called them to place a reorder. I got a friendly sounding woman on the phone, who was happy to take my order. I told her I wanted two boxes of checks, which were listed on their Web site at $21.90 for both boxes. I gave her the style, type, checking account number, address change, etc. So far, so good.

It's when she reviewed my order that the trouble started. First, she upped my order to four boxes of checks without my authorization. I had to correct her on that.

Then she went through a whole spiel of reasons why I would save money if I opted for all kinds of extras. I cut her off even before she started the next paragraph of hard-sell (that she was obviously reading) to say I didn't want whatever she was offering. She chuckled and began reading the selling point anyway. I realized she probably was told to read every customer the whole script, no matter what, so I just let her do the spiel and then turned down each offer.

Finally, we got to my order total. It came to more than $40. I said, "Wait a minute. It's supposed to be $21.90 for two boxes. It isn't $21.90 per box, is it?" She said no, that she was just about to explain the extra amounts.

It turned out that her computer system automatically adds extras that I didn't order: Higher UPS shipping to include a tracking service, and a fee for a check-protection service.

Apparently, with Checks Unlimited, it's your responsibility as a customer to turn down everything they tack onto your order. If you aren't paying close attention and just authorize a credit-card payment, you could easily end up paying twice as much as you orginally thought the checks would cost.

When I realized this about halfway through my order, I immediately canceled the entire order and told the woman that I would not be rewarding her company with my business when they were pulling such underhanded tactics on unsuspecting customers.

By going online and looking for other check-printing companies, I found another place that offered me the same quality checks in the same amounts for less than $16 total, including shipping and handling.

Had an Experience with Checks Unlimited?

Comments

I sent a check to pay for the order, and marked "no" for all of the added items and they sent me to a collection agency for $12.00- WHAT?? you have got to be kidding me.

Littleton, Colorado, United States #1207372

Checks Unlimited is a rip off.

Well I need checks and the bank charges way to much, anyone know of a honest company? checks unlimited certainly isn't one! Scary stuff glad I read the reviews.

The scam is still going on in 2016. Got all the way to entering my credit card for a discount and as I hit enter, it took away my promo code and everything cost twice as much... Ridiculous...

Never ordering there again..

to Anonymous Lisbon, Maine, United States #1196445

YES, it still is going on in 2016, I couldnt believe it for 16.50 checks my total was over $40.oo, I said no cancel it all.But we can deduct it right from the checking account numbers you gave us.

Nothing doing!!!!

I wrote to complain and never got a reply.Stay away from this company!!!!!

I must agree about the unannounced handling fee that added 25% to my order, completely wiping out any "discount" these hucksters pretend to offer up front. I will NEVER use Checks Unlimited again. Scumbags.

SAME WITH STYLE CHECKS.....I GOT A THANK YOU FOR MY .'UP SELL' ORDER BEFORE I AUTHORIZED IT.....

I SAW THE AUTO UP SELLS AND WAS TRYING TO DELETE THEM.......

SITE WOULD NOT LET ME SIGN OUT AND I HAD TO SHUT DOWN COMPLETELY........THEN MANY PHONE CALLS TO THE 800# TO GET IT CLEARED UP......WASTE OF MY TIME.....HOW CAN A SITE BE THAT NEEDY FOR BUSINESS......SAD.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States #967934

I just ordered from checks.com because they advertised $4.95 per box.Only 6 styles at that price, but I found one I liked.

I declined all the upsell they threw at me (switching all the check marks to "no thanks").

I also chose the free shipping that was followed in red with "not recommended, no tracking".As soon as I clicked submit, they added $3.95 handling and by then it was too late; there was never an option or hint that they would charge a handling fee.

Neenah, Wisconsin, United States #952752

I am a senior citizen, ordered $100.00 worth of personal checks, a satisfied customer previously, but unhappy now.Every time I write a check, as I tear it out of the book, 95% of the time, it tears.

I have tried rulers, tearing from different ends, et al and they tear.

I have to tear up most and begin again.A fraud and disappointment that it seems you can't get it right.

Andover, New Jersey, United States #949913

Absolutely the most sleezy company I've dealt with.I did an order for 2 boxes at $28 and declined the fraud protection (twice) and the UPS tracking upsell (twice) but after providing my credit card info the confirmation was 37 with an unspecified handling charge and tax.

Pure sleeze, these folks should be burned at a stake for their sales tactics.I'll buy checks through a bank before I order again.