Checks Unlimited - Beware When Ordering

126 of 126 Checks Unlimited reviews

I've been a long-time Checks Unlimited customer, for no other reason than that their ads come in the mail and make it easy for me to order checks without having to hunt around for another deal.

This morning I called them to place a reorder. I got a friendly sounding woman on the phone, who was happy to take my order. I told her I wanted two boxes of checks, which were listed on their Web site at $21.90 for both boxes. I gave her the style, type, checking account number, address change, etc. So far, so good.

It's when she reviewed my order that the trouble started. First, she upped my order to four boxes of checks without my authorization. I had to correct her on that.

Then she went through a whole spiel of reasons why I would save money if I opted for all kinds of extras. I cut her off even before she started the next paragraph of hard-sell (that she was obviously reading) to say I didn't want whatever she was offering. She chuckled and began reading the selling point anyway. I realized she probably was told to read every customer the whole script, no matter what, so I just let her do the spiel and then turned down each offer.

Finally, we got to my order total. It came to more than $40. I said, "Wait a minute. It's supposed to be $21.90 for two boxes. It isn't $21.90 per box, is it?" She said no, that she was just about to explain the extra amounts.

It turned out that her computer system automatically adds extras that I didn't order: Higher UPS shipping to include a tracking service, and a fee for a check-protection service.

Apparently, with Checks Unlimited, it's your responsibility as a customer to turn down everything they tack onto your order. If you aren't paying close attention and just authorize a credit-card payment, you could easily end up paying twice as much as you orginally thought the checks would cost.

When I realized this about halfway through my order, I immediately canceled the entire order and told the woman that I would not be rewarding her company with my business when they were pulling such underhanded tactics on unsuspecting customers.

By going online and looking for other check-printing companies, I found another place that offered me the same quality checks in the same amounts for less than $16 total, including shipping and handling.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 56 Yes 56
126 of 126 Checks Unlimited reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Feb 23 #1116474

Well I need checks and the bank charges way to much, anyone know of a honest company? checks unlimited certainly isn't one! Scary stuff glad I read the reviews.

Feb 02 #1105146

The scam is still going on in 2016. Got all the way to entering my credit card for a discount and as I hit enter, it took away my promo code and everything cost twice as much... Ridiculous...
Never ordering there again..

Becky

Aug 08 #1196445 Lisbon, Maine, United States

YES, it still is going on in 2016, I couldnt believe it for 16.50 checks my total was over $40.oo, I said no cancel it all. But we can deduct it right from the checking account numbers you gave us. Nothing doing!!!! I wrote to complain and never got a reply. Stay away from this company!!!!!

Sep 26, 2015 #1039543

I must agree about the unannounced handling fee that added 25% to my order, completely wiping out any "discount" these hucksters pretend to offer up front. I will NEVER use Checks Unlimited again. Scumbags.

Sep 16, 2015 #1034742

SAME WITH STYLE CHECKS.....I GOT A THANK YOU FOR MY . 'UP SELL' ORDER BEFORE I AUTHORIZED IT..... I SAW THE AUTO UP SELLS AND WAS TRYING TO DELETE THEM....... SITE WOULD NOT LET ME SIGN OUT AND I HAD TO SHUT DOWN COMPLETELY........THEN MANY PHONE CALLS TO THE 800# TO GET IT CLEARED UP......WASTE OF MY TIME..... HOW CAN A SITE BE THAT NEEDY FOR BUSINESS......SAD.

Terri

Apr 04, 2015 #967934 Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States

I just ordered from checks.com because they advertised $4.95 per box. Only 6 styles at that price, but I found one I liked. I declined all the upsell they threw at me (switching all the check marks to "no thanks"). I also chose the free shipping that was followed in red with "not recommended, no tracking". As soon as I clicked submit, they added $3.95 handling and by then it was too late; there was never an option or hint that they would charge a handling fee.

Papa

Mar 01, 2015 #952752 Neenah, Wisconsin, United States

I am a senior citizen, ordered $100.00 worth of personal checks, a satisfied customer previously, but unhappy now. Every time I write a check, as I tear it out of the book, 95% of the time, it tears. I have tried rulers, tearing from different ends, et al and they tear. I have to tear up most and begin again. A fraud and disappointment that it seems you can't get it right.

AdamR07821

Feb 23, 2015 #949913 Andover, New Jersey, United States

Absolutely the most sleezy company I've dealt with. I did an order for 2 boxes at $28 and declined the fraud protection (twice) and the UPS tracking upsell (twice) but after providing my credit card info the confirmation was 37 with an unspecified handling charge and tax. Pure sleeze, these folks should be burned at a stake for their sales tactics. I'll buy checks through a bank before I order again.

ChecksUnlimitedStinks

Aug 27, 2014 #862255

I ordered online, and as I was checking out I noticed they had added a $16 charge for some kind of fraud protection. I had not done anything to select this, and had not been asked if I wanted it; it was just there as a default. There was a way to opt out, so I did that, but instead of just showing no charge it now showed a $9 charge for some other, presumably less extensive fraud protection! I opted out again, finally getting rid of the fraud protection completely, then selected my shipping option and checked out. Imagine my surprise when I then saw, only AFTER finalizing my order, that IN ADDITION to the $8.95 shipping charge I had agreed to, they had added a separate, $13.80 charge for "handling"! It's possible that this was listed somewhere in the fine print before I clicked "confirm," and that I would have seen it if I had checked more carefully, but the idea that I should have to scrutinize each page for hidden charges like this is ludicrous. Needless to say, I won't be ordering from them again, and I'm not at all happy that such untrustworthy people have not only my credit card info, but also my checking account info.

Jan 30, 2014 #780245

I recently ordered from checks unlimited. When I got to the checkout page I saw postage was soooo expensive. Having been a recent victim of identity fraud I decided to pay the extra money and get UPS tracking. We'll ups tracks to their local center and mails it the rest of the way with no tracking. What did I pay for? My local UPS is z15 minutes away . When I didn't get ny package in 2.5 days I called checks unlimited she told me to call my post office. Why? I get mail daily. I called today and they wanted me to call usps with the ups tracking number really! Then the supervisor said she would refund my shipping, then she said I should call my bank and stop payment on 400 checks then she said she would reship with different numbers but in the end she did Nothing I will call my bank but then I'll have to call them again either way I want my money back. Spend the extra money avoid the hastle go to your bank.

VP

Jan 20, 2014 #775810

I had the same issue. After 20+ years using Checks Unlimited, I would rather pay more if I had to than ever using their service again. LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!! :(

Biggins

Nov 05, 2013 #738312

If this person has a computer, connected to the net, then just why is it that they are on the phone to some twit?
Sounds like total *** to me, you know that there are people that get paid by competitors to talk trash and that is what this sounds like.

Oct 25, 2013 #733169

Same things happened to me. I ordered on-line, they automatically added products to my shopping cart. I took them out - they put them back in. Imagine if your went to Wal-Mart and the cashier kept throwing things in your cart.

Do something about it! I filed a complaint against them with ftc.gov. File a complaint. It's only when many complaints are filed that their deceptive business practices will stop. Take action.

2 0 Reply
Lynne

Aug 14, 2013 #699641

You guys are really scaring me. Ordered, and order was delivered but there was a mistake. I admit, the mistake was partially mine. But, their description of the checks :? was at the bottom of it all. Fast forward: A nice young woman heard my complaint and said I would be getting new checks with no charge to me, and for me to destroy the one's I had gotten.
I hope I'm not charged after all this.

Kidd pissed consumer

Aug 06, 2013 #694693 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Here's the REAL DEAL. I ordered checks from checksunlimited.com and with their satisfaction guarantee, privacy page, security page and have concluded these checks were altered by CIA probably. DC Fulfillment Center is some ***. Then they conspire your phone calls telling you that everything is okay or whatever but its really a fake customer service line the CIA is running. If you ordered from checksunlimited.com you'd want it to come from checksunlimited. The addresses on your checks packages and the addresses on your checksunlimited.com website are different, clearly don't match and is conspiracy you probably got a problem with the CIA or some place. DC Fulfillment center can kiss my ***. This whole check package was definately replaced. UPS Ground for UPS SurePost. They probably switched up your Marked Print signature line with some phony contract, too, huh? Yeah... checksunlimited.com is fine. It's the government agencies that are out of hand. READ THIS.

John

Dec 19, 2012 #584477 Trenton, New Jersey, United States

I unselected all of the extras and they still slipped in more expensive shipping when I clicked continue. Watch each screen and unselect what you do not want. You might have to unselect the same item on several screens to get the order the way you want it. They are sneeky devils.

Rebecca

Jun 18, 2012 #498135

I didn't know until today, that checks unlimited and Designer Checks are sister companies and share the same customer service reps. Is there no one above board anymore? The fees to rush the processing then the shipping are not worth the cost. I am going thru my bank from now on, if the bank messes up then they eat the cost.

Blue Heron

Jun 13, 2012 #495621

I couldn't agree more with all above comments. Buyer beware: this checking printing business is a rip-off. Better off buying checks through your bank.

1 1 Reply
Van

Dec 02, 2011 #384569

Boy ,they let them get away with this.

Well I didn't !! Told her right off, I
just want to reorder my checks and don't wany anything extra. Tried to go from $34.00 to $64.00. This will be my last order from them!!.

They try to suck you in with a special price for so many boxes of checks and then they try to push all these extras on you.

Well,they didn't get ME !

1 1 Reply

1-20 of 46 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Checks Unlimited. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Checks Unlimited.
Filing a new complaint about
×