Checks Unlimited - Beware When Ordering
I've been a long-time Checks Unlimited customer, for no other reason than that their ads come in the mail and make it easy for me to order checks without having to hunt around for another deal.
This morning I called them to place a reorder. I got a friendly sounding woman on the phone, who was happy to take my order. I told her I wanted two boxes of checks, which were listed on their Web site at $21.90 for both boxes. I gave her the style, type, checking account number, address change, etc. So far, so good.
It's when she reviewed my order that the trouble started. First, she upped my order to four boxes of checks without my authorization. I had to correct her on that.
Then she went through a whole spiel of reasons why I would save money if I opted for all kinds of extras. I cut her off even before she started the next paragraph of hard-sell (that she was obviously reading) to say I didn't want whatever she was offering. She chuckled and began reading the selling point anyway. I realized she probably was told to read every customer the whole script, no matter what, so I just let her do the spiel and then turned down each offer.
Finally, we got to my order total. It came to more than $40. I said, "Wait a minute. It's supposed to be $21.90 for two boxes. It isn't $21.90 per box, is it?" She said no, that she was just about to explain the extra amounts.
It turned out that her computer system automatically adds extras that I didn't order: Higher UPS shipping to include a tracking service, and a fee for a check-protection service.
Apparently, with Checks Unlimited, it's your responsibility as a customer to turn down everything they tack onto your order. If you aren't paying close attention and just authorize a credit-card payment, you could easily end up paying twice as much as you orginally thought the checks would cost.
When I realized this about halfway through my order, I immediately canceled the entire order and told the woman that I would not be rewarding her company with my business when they were pulling such underhanded tactics on unsuspecting customers.
By going online and looking for other check-printing companies, I found another place that offered me the same quality checks in the same amounts for less than $16 total, including shipping and handling.review #114341
You may also like
- "I just ordered a dvd from CCNow a division of Snorrason ehf. Last of the Dogmen dvd, $10.00 plus $3.95 shipping. I have checked my balance and they have taken..."
- "I bought some shoes from streetretro.com and I received shoes that were dirty, hand painted with glue all over the shoes. DO NOT BUY from this company. The customer service..."
- "DO NOT purchase Web Watcher iOS to monitor you kids iPod usage. Their screenshots of the features were misleading and made it look like it records "everything", but it..."
- "I started out with Citi Financial Auto they were very professional and understanding. about 2-3 yrs I started getting mail from Santander stating they had took over. Every since it..."
- "On 2/5/15 I went to Billion Auto in Iowa City to look at a 2012 Kia Forte EX. It had 21,000 miles and was just under $12,000. They have two..."
- "I bought a book online from Deer Run Books which was described thusly: "Fine/Very Good/unclipped. Third Printing. Very tight, clean copy with no damage to the pages or hard covers...."
- "I ordered a pastel sympathy standing basket premium-large arrangement. It was suppose to have less filler and more flowers will I got the opposite. Also, I paid extra money to..."
- "I bought a 2015 hideout in December had nothing but problems haven't used camper yet has a cracked tub they put a new one in and ripped the walls and..."
- "Review of Pizza Hut, Sector 28, Vashi, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, INDIA. BAN Pizza Hut. 3rd class people spl Mr. Sekhar Mane, Dada giri se baat karta hai kamina. 1) Wrong Delivery, 2) Late..."