Checks Unlimited - Beware When Ordering
I've been a long-time Checks Unlimited customer, for no other reason than that their ads come in the mail and make it easy for me to order checks without having to hunt around for another deal.
This morning I called them to place a reorder. I got a friendly sounding woman on the phone, who was happy to take my order. I told her I wanted two boxes of checks, which were listed on their Web site at $21.90 for both boxes. I gave her the style, type, checking account number, address change, etc. So far, so good.
It's when she reviewed my order that the trouble started. First, she upped my order to four boxes of checks without my authorization. I had to correct her on that.
Then she went through a whole spiel of reasons why I would save money if I opted for all kinds of extras. I cut her off even before she started the next paragraph of hard-sell (that she was obviously reading) to say I didn't want whatever she was offering. She chuckled and began reading the selling point anyway. I realized she probably was told to read every customer the whole script, no matter what, so I just let her do the spiel and then turned down each offer.
Finally, we got to my order total. It came to more than $40. I said, "Wait a minute. It's supposed to be $21.90 for two boxes. It isn't $21.90 per box, is it?" She said no, that she was just about to explain the extra amounts.
It turned out that her computer system automatically adds extras that I didn't order: Higher UPS shipping to include a tracking service, and a fee for a check-protection service.
Apparently, with Checks Unlimited, it's your responsibility as a customer to turn down everything they tack onto your order. If you aren't paying close attention and just authorize a credit-card payment, you could easily end up paying twice as much as you orginally thought the checks would cost.
When I realized this about halfway through my order, I immediately canceled the entire order and told the woman that I would not be rewarding her company with my business when they were pulling such underhanded tactics on unsuspecting customers.
By going online and looking for other check-printing companies, I found another place that offered me the same quality checks in the same amounts for less than $16 total, including shipping and handling.1183e534 review #114341
You may also like
- "I was looking to get a fishing lure subscription as a gift for the holidays and i stumbled across a website called Lucky Tackle Box. I looked on their website..."
- "When I received my order and opened the box and I found half of the bottle of "crime de serum" the bottle is so much smaller than the one shown..."
- "Ordered a pair of sunglasses, they sent the wrong pair will not give my money back. They blame their dispatch, whatever that means. They won't accept responsibility. They just want..."
- "Mid February decided to purchase laminate flooring material through Lowe's. Called flooring dept at my local Lowe's and arranged to have room measured. Took 2 weeks - end of Feb..."
- "Itsy Puppy has the best puppies! We are writing this review so that many more families can become happy as we are. We decided to reserve Jojo after seeing how..."
- "In just a few seconds things change. Now your time to figure it out!'ν..."
- "David L. Ross Construction(DLRC), Woodlawn, TN is an unlicensed construction contractor.DLRC signed a contract to provided turnkey construction of my new home. Under TN statute all construction contractors acting..."
- "I received flowers today 02/14/2014 for Valentines day from my husband and they are HORRIBLE. They are pink roses and another flower I don't even know what it is because..."
- "if you are getting "screwed" by any Insurance, you have to check this out at Least (almost) 10 Insurance companies "settled", out of court (I Believe), Humana for 250 Million..."