Checks Unlimited - Beware When Ordering
I've been a long-time Checks Unlimited customer, for no other reason than that their ads come in the mail and make it easy for me to order checks without having to hunt around for another deal.
This morning I called them to place a reorder. I got a friendly sounding woman on the phone, who was happy to take my order. I told her I wanted two boxes of checks, which were listed on their Web site at $21.90 for both boxes. I gave her the style, type, checking account number, address change, etc. So far, so good.
It's when she reviewed my order that the trouble started. First, she upped my order to four boxes of checks without my authorization. I had to correct her on that.
Then she went through a whole spiel of reasons why I would save money if I opted for all kinds of extras. I cut her off even before she started the next paragraph of hard-sell (that she was obviously reading) to say I didn't want whatever she was offering. She chuckled and began reading the selling point anyway. I realized she probably was told to read every customer the whole script, no matter what, so I just let her do the spiel and then turned down each offer.
Finally, we got to my order total. It came to more than $40. I said, "Wait a minute. It's supposed to be $21.90 for two boxes. It isn't $21.90 per box, is it?" She said no, that she was just about to explain the extra amounts.
It turned out that her computer system automatically adds extras that I didn't order: Higher UPS shipping to include a tracking service, and a fee for a check-protection service.
Apparently, with Checks Unlimited, it's your responsibility as a customer to turn down everything they tack onto your order. If you aren't paying close attention and just authorize a credit-card payment, you could easily end up paying twice as much as you orginally thought the checks would cost.
When I realized this about halfway through my order, I immediately canceled the entire order and told the woman that I would not be rewarding her company with my business when they were pulling such underhanded tactics on unsuspecting customers.
By going online and looking for other check-printing companies, I found another place that offered me the same quality checks in the same amounts for less than $16 total, including shipping and handling.129e1a5c review #114341
You may also like
- "I have purchased 2 king sheet sets, a kind bedding set, a leather wallet, an 8 gig iPod Touch, and a Swarovski grab bag from this company last month. The..."
- "Your organization was notified that 4 Wheel Parts Performance Centers, d.b.a Pro Competition Tire, d.b.a Transamerican Auto Parts, retained several Nationwide Unsatisfactory Records with the BBB for Failing to Respond..."
- "DO NOT purchase Web Watcher iOS to monitor you kids iPod usage. Their screenshots of the features were misleading and made it look like it records "everything", but it..."
- "Ordered captains letters for youth hockey team on Dec-9, 2013. They replied to my e-mail inquiry about order status with, "Your order is shipping in the morning." on Dec 17...."
- "Ordered a large hand tossed pepperoni pizza from the Knoxville Iowa Pizza Hut, was burnt to a crisp when delivered. Called them back and they knew it was burnt as..."
- "Had a basement drain backup with "dirty" water. Called them as emergency after hours (a Thursday night). The plumber who responded was glad to hear there were outside clean-outs between..."
- "I went to the Denny's in Baytown on Garth road. They are the nastiest people ever they fix ur food after picking there nose playing in there hair and every..."
- "Purchased Lane 100% leather sofa and loveseat (Hemispheres collection) in 2010. Faded spots have started to appear on the backs of both items (I realize the backs aren't leather..."
- "As mentioned I have reduced the amount of time, effort and money spent on Thumbtack. There seems to be no urgency to assure that clients are aware of the..."