Checks Unlimited - Beware When Ordering
I've been a long-time Checks Unlimited customer, for no other reason than that their ads come in the mail and make it easy for me to order checks without having to hunt around for another deal.
This morning I called them to place a reorder. I got a friendly sounding woman on the phone, who was happy to take my order. I told her I wanted two boxes of checks, which were listed on their Web site at $21.90 for both boxes. I gave her the style, type, checking account number, address change, etc. So far, so good.
It's when she reviewed my order that the trouble started. First, she upped my order to four boxes of checks without my authorization. I had to correct her on that.
Then she went through a whole spiel of reasons why I would save money if I opted for all kinds of extras. I cut her off even before she started the next paragraph of hard-sell (that she was obviously reading) to say I didn't want whatever she was offering. She chuckled and began reading the selling point anyway. I realized she probably was told to read every customer the whole script, no matter what, so I just let her do the spiel and then turned down each offer.
Finally, we got to my order total. It came to more than $40. I said, "Wait a minute. It's supposed to be $21.90 for two boxes. It isn't $21.90 per box, is it?" She said no, that she was just about to explain the extra amounts.
It turned out that her computer system automatically adds extras that I didn't order: Higher UPS shipping to include a tracking service, and a fee for a check-protection service.
Apparently, with Checks Unlimited, it's your responsibility as a customer to turn down everything they tack onto your order. If you aren't paying close attention and just authorize a credit-card payment, you could easily end up paying twice as much as you orginally thought the checks would cost.
When I realized this about halfway through my order, I immediately canceled the entire order and told the woman that I would not be rewarding her company with my business when they were pulling such underhanded tactics on unsuspecting customers.
By going online and looking for other check-printing companies, I found another place that offered me the same quality checks in the same amounts for less than $16 total, including shipping and handling.
More Review Details
You May Also Like
- "It may be a coincedence but I kinda doubt it .... Albany and Brooklyn are like two hours from each other ... I find it hard to believe that someone..."
- "Anyone should do the same, complaints to the Federal Trade Commission and FBI. Sps Review Forum Scam - complaint to the Federal Trade Commission. Sps Review Forum Scam - complaint to..."
- "I ordered a bag of $100 face value dimes and it came in paper rolls. Upon opening these rolls for review I found 17 or 20 rolls had 2-4 similar..."
- "My family and I checked into the Great Wolf Lodge on July 2. When we arrived and went to our room, we were shocked at the size of the room...."
- "I received my Bruce Campbell Cream of Evil sweatshirt and it's by far the WORST piece of clothing I've ever purchased in my life!!! Graphics are extremely blurry and colors..."
- "Velveta quest slices had glass in it! I threw away the outside package so I don't know lot number but this is unacceptable!..."
- "I decided i wanted to have *** Man do my front and back yard. They also did my roof, my siding, my indoor greenhouse, and they also did my kitchen...."
- "We bought a sofa and loves eat from the rooms to go store in mayaguez, Puerto Rico a little over a year ago. The top layer of this so called..."
- "Horrible customer service. DO NOT ORDER FROM MODLILY. Tried canceling an order before it was shipped no reply. Submitted 2 tickets and was never contacted by anyone. Tried contacting them..."