Checks Unlimited - Beware When Ordering
I've been a long-time Checks Unlimited customer, for no other reason than that their ads come in the mail and make it easy for me to order checks without having to hunt around for another deal.
This morning I called them to place a reorder. I got a friendly sounding woman on the phone, who was happy to take my order. I told her I wanted two boxes of checks, which were listed on their Web site at $21.90 for both boxes. I gave her the style, type, checking account number, address change, etc. So far, so good.
It's when she reviewed my order that the trouble started. First, she upped my order to four boxes of checks without my authorization. I had to correct her on that.
Then she went through a whole spiel of reasons why I would save money if I opted for all kinds of extras. I cut her off even before she started the next paragraph of hard-sell (that she was obviously reading) to say I didn't want whatever she was offering. She chuckled and began reading the selling point anyway. I realized she probably was told to read every customer the whole script, no matter what, so I just let her do the spiel and then turned down each offer.
Finally, we got to my order total. It came to more than $40. I said, "Wait a minute. It's supposed to be $21.90 for two boxes. It isn't $21.90 per box, is it?" She said no, that she was just about to explain the extra amounts.
It turned out that her computer system automatically adds extras that I didn't order: Higher UPS shipping to include a tracking service, and a fee for a check-protection service.
Apparently, with Checks Unlimited, it's your responsibility as a customer to turn down everything they tack onto your order. If you aren't paying close attention and just authorize a credit-card payment, you could easily end up paying twice as much as you orginally thought the checks would cost.
When I realized this about halfway through my order, I immediately canceled the entire order and told the woman that I would not be rewarding her company with my business when they were pulling such underhanded tactics on unsuspecting customers.
By going online and looking for other check-printing companies, I found another place that offered me the same quality checks in the same amounts for less than $16 total, including shipping and handling.
More Review Details
You May Also Like
- "I lent my debt card to a worker who then went to the Parlor at Four Hills and the Veteran’ Charity Sweepstakes and transferred money from my card to the..."
- "I have used this "expert" because on the profile says that this particular person specializes in remote viewing and ok it goes as follows: At first the "expert" seemed accurate..."
- "Jason Brouwer (President) and his siding/roofing company, "The Gopher Company Inc." were summonsed to appear in Hennepin County's Fourth Judicial District Court for neglectful subcontracting of our Albertville home replacement..."
- "DailySteals advertises refurbished electronics that are supposed to work. The prices are low but BEWARE! What you will receive will be broken and not in working order. They do not..."
- "I replaced my element and then knobs, burner, and fan went haywire. After 2 repairmen and $$ finally found that the stunt for the element had been put in on..."
- "I expressed my opinion and my feelings about Patti Meyers, owner and operator of CafeOldeWorld.com and Cafe Old World Rentals, out of despair, frustration, hopelessness, and shame. Your client, Patti..."
- "Phoenix AZ. Thursday November/26/2015. 12:01 a.m. I was signed in, my list ready; everything in place to be one of the first customer to place my order online. Suddenly..."
- "I just got a Sony MDR-XB400 Extra Bass Over the Ear Headphones Black but the product is not look exactly like it should be in Lazada' page...."
- "This so-called attorney attempted to intimidate me based on the false allegations of his personal friend, Paulette Elaine Rocco Gosden Tumbarello. She is a real estate broker in Hilton..."