Checks Unlimited - Beware When Ordering
I've been a long-time Checks Unlimited customer, for no other reason than that their ads come in the mail and make it easy for me to order checks without having to hunt around for another deal.
This morning I called them to place a reorder. I got a friendly sounding woman on the phone, who was happy to take my order. I told her I wanted two boxes of checks, which were listed on their Web site at $21.90 for both boxes. I gave her the style, type, checking account number, address change, etc. So far, so good.
It's when she reviewed my order that the trouble started. First, she upped my order to four boxes of checks without my authorization. I had to correct her on that.
Then she went through a whole spiel of reasons why I would save money if I opted for all kinds of extras. I cut her off even before she started the next paragraph of hard-sell (that she was obviously reading) to say I didn't want whatever she was offering. She chuckled and began reading the selling point anyway. I realized she probably was told to read every customer the whole script, no matter what, so I just let her do the spiel and then turned down each offer.
Finally, we got to my order total. It came to more than $40. I said, "Wait a minute. It's supposed to be $21.90 for two boxes. It isn't $21.90 per box, is it?" She said no, that she was just about to explain the extra amounts.
It turned out that her computer system automatically adds extras that I didn't order: Higher UPS shipping to include a tracking service, and a fee for a check-protection service.
Apparently, with Checks Unlimited, it's your responsibility as a customer to turn down everything they tack onto your order. If you aren't paying close attention and just authorize a credit-card payment, you could easily end up paying twice as much as you orginally thought the checks would cost.
When I realized this about halfway through my order, I immediately canceled the entire order and told the woman that I would not be rewarding her company with my business when they were pulling such underhanded tactics on unsuspecting customers.
By going online and looking for other check-printing companies, I found another place that offered me the same quality checks in the same amounts for less than $16 total, including shipping and handling.
More Review Details
You May Also Like
- "Hello, I'm pretty dissatisfied with the quality of the flowers that I purchased. What my girlfriend received looks nothing like what was pictured on their website.What I ordered was "The..."
- "In June of 2014, we ordered a UTV for $3275. It was never mentioned on their site (terrible by the way) that it required welding and assembly. We were unable..."
- "I am a recent victim of a Cydcor office in Michigan. I worked in Bingham Farms with a ATT Uverse office. I never was paid correctly, I was..."
- "I bought a book online from Deer Run Books which was described thusly: "Fine/Very Good/unclipped. Third Printing. Very tight, clean copy with no damage to the pages or hard covers...."
- "I ordered a Bouquet of flowers Online via flowerdeliveryexpress.com. They (FDE) sent a confirmation email that delivery would be February 10th. I had ordered early for Valentine’s..."
- "I am sick and tired of trying to get Carousel Motors to accept responsibility for screwing on my Audi. The car had several problems and they refused to take the..."
- "I went to the regal nail salon in the vestal Walmart yesterday. And let me tell you, the 20 minutes wait was not worth what I had to go through...."
- "Yes I did. After using my emails on your site and using the pay to delete account fraudulent emails apparently were obtained by individuals sending graphic nude pics..."
- "I placed an order back in June. When the items arrived my bathing suit bottoms were swen wrong.The other items I purchased were not as described in the pictures. A..."