Checks Unlimited - Beware When Ordering
I've been a long-time Checks Unlimited customer, for no other reason than that their ads come in the mail and make it easy for me to order checks without having to hunt around for another deal.
This morning I called them to place a reorder. I got a friendly sounding woman on the phone, who was happy to take my order. I told her I wanted two boxes of checks, which were listed on their Web site at $21.90 for both boxes. I gave her the style, type, checking account number, address change, etc. So far, so good.
It's when she reviewed my order that the trouble started. First, she upped my order to four boxes of checks without my authorization. I had to correct her on that.
Then she went through a whole spiel of reasons why I would save money if I opted for all kinds of extras. I cut her off even before she started the next paragraph of hard-sell (that she was obviously reading) to say I didn't want whatever she was offering. She chuckled and began reading the selling point anyway. I realized she probably was told to read every customer the whole script, no matter what, so I just let her do the spiel and then turned down each offer.
Finally, we got to my order total. It came to more than $40. I said, "Wait a minute. It's supposed to be $21.90 for two boxes. It isn't $21.90 per box, is it?" She said no, that she was just about to explain the extra amounts.
It turned out that her computer system automatically adds extras that I didn't order: Higher UPS shipping to include a tracking service, and a fee for a check-protection service.
Apparently, with Checks Unlimited, it's your responsibility as a customer to turn down everything they tack onto your order. If you aren't paying close attention and just authorize a credit-card payment, you could easily end up paying twice as much as you orginally thought the checks would cost.
When I realized this about halfway through my order, I immediately canceled the entire order and told the woman that I would not be rewarding her company with my business when they were pulling such underhanded tactics on unsuspecting customers.
By going online and looking for other check-printing companies, I found another place that offered me the same quality checks in the same amounts for less than $16 total, including shipping and handling.1096e364 review #114341
You may also like
- "Extremely disappointed with their rude attitude! So, I guess their policy is your NOT going to buy to get out of their stores?? I was shopping for a hot tub..."
- "Michael Louis Stokes Jr is a man that wears many hats. He is running from a lot of people in the Southern California area for ripping them off in..."
- "I have used this "expert" because on the profile says that this particular person specializes in remote viewing and ok it goes as follows: At first the "expert" seemed accurate..."
- "3/4/2015 First and for most - if you get these filters pay with a credit card or open their credit card. When you have issues and want them off your house..."
- "I have used Charmin Ultra for years, and have usually bought it by the case at Sam's Club. I recently bought a new case at Sam's Club, and it..."
- "Wilted flowers. Was told 3 purple roses, recvd 1, no balloon, was cgarged after talking to customer service, she gave me price of balloon and 9.99 off the rest of..."
- "On 2/5/15 I went to Billion Auto in Iowa City to look at a 2012 Kia Forte EX. It had 21,000 miles and was just under $12,000. They have two..."
- "I replaced my element and then knobs, burner, and fan went haywire. After 2 repairmen and $$ finally found that the stunt for the element had been put in on..."
- "Ordered a large hand tossed pepperoni pizza from the Knoxville Iowa Pizza Hut, was burnt to a crisp when delivered. Called them back and they knew it was burnt as..."